SMS Text Marketing is growing fast and there’s no sign it will slow down anytime soon.
Despite the growth, consumer demand and success of SMS text marketing, some businesses out there are still reluctant to add a SMS service to their marketing mix. Why? Well, I can’t answer that why, but I can answer why you should be using SMS text marketing as soon as possible… and a few statistics are going to help me do it!
From its ubiquity to its incredible response rates, SMS is really a no-brainer. Did you know the average person in the U.S. looks at their Smartphone over 150 times per day? Did you know mobile phone users have their phone within reach 14 hours a day (with many of the younger generation having it within arm’s reach 24/7!)? Did you know that SMS marketing campaigns are “opted out” less than 5% of the time?
Did you know… that SMS can give your business that boost in sales it needs? It can create stronger customer relationships and drive a specific consumer behavior? Okay, okay… enough with the “did you know” questions. Keep on reading below to find 10 more statistics that prove SMS should be (and is!) taken seriously as a marketing and communications tool.
- Texting is the most widely-used and frequently used app on a smartphone, with 97% of Americans using it at least once a day1.
- Over 80% of American adults text, making it the most common cell phone activity2.
- Text messages have a 98% open rate, while email has only a 20% open rate3.
- 90% of all text messages are read in under 3 minutes4.
- 75% of people would like to have offers sent to them via SMS5.
- SMS is widespread, affordable, real-time and flexible6.
- Millennials prefer automated text messaging over IVR, including speech-based solutions7.
- 38% of contact centers currently offer SMS, and 23% have plans to add it in the next 12 months. That means 61% of contact centers will offer SMS support in 20168.
- 80% of people are currently using texting for business9.
- Sales prospects who are sent text messages convert at a rate 40% higher than those who are not sent any text messages10.